Sunday, January 31, 2010

A's Baptism

Since before Hubs I ever got married we actually have been looking for a church that we could call home. We spent some time going to several different churches over the past couple of years but we just couldn't find the right one. We wanted to find a church that we agreed on. A church that felt like home. A church that had warm welcoming members. A church that was upbeat and fun but at the same time got the message across. We actually thought the church that we got married in was the right fit because we loved Bro. Woody so much but to our dismay Bro. Woody moved to Florida to take over an existing church. So once again we were on the lookout. Right around the time I was 8 months pregnant is when we started going to the United Methodist Church of W M. We were able to go to church only a couple of times and then A arrived. I don't think I need to explain why we didn't get to go back to church right away:)

So at the beginning of the new year we started going back to church not only for ourselves but now also for A. Before Hubs I ever got married we discussed all different things such as what we expected out of each other, the way that we were raised and the way we would like to raise our future children. The one thing that we definitely agreed on was that we wanted our children raised in a church. It's how are parents raised us and it was important for us to do the same thing. Since we were raised in different religions I had to explain why I was baptised as a baby and not as a teenager like he was. I also had to explain confirmation but that's a whole other story. When explaining baptism I told him how important it was to me to have A baptised and he completely agreed with me and thought that it was a wonderful idea.



Before A was ever even thought of I remember thinking to myself, "I wonder who has the "Family" Baptismal Gown?" To Me & Hubs both family history is so important and interesting. I told him about the gown and if I could get my hands on it that I would want A baptised in it.
Once it arrived and I showed it to him he was amazed. I don't think he actually knew what to expect. The first Kiedaisch was baptised in the gown in 1911, which makes the dress 99 years old. Isn't that just amazing!! A was the 24th family member to be baptised in the gown and the fourth generation. I know that this would have made my Dad so proud.



When we met with Rev. Jon to discuss that this was something we wanted to do. He explained how the ceremony would go. One of the things that he mentioned would happen was that after she was baptised he would walk with her around the congregation. This made me and Hubs a little nervous. You see in the past month A has become very aware of her surroundings and she now recognizes familiar faces and unfamiliar faces and trust me if you are unfamiliar she is going to let you know!! When the time came to hand her over to Rev. Jon I remember taking a deep breathe and making a silent pray of "Dear God please let her behave" Well to our pleasant surprise she only cried once when Rev. Jon poured about a cup full of water on her head and then recovered quite nicely. Rev. Jon called her a little Steel Magnolia because she was able to recovery so well. For the entire service she just sat and listened and looked around at everything. That day she also proved that we will now be able to take her with us to church.



During A's baptism Rev. Jon did a wonderful job with the whole ceremony. One of the things that he mentioned was how old the was gown. The congregation was in awe.



Aunt K and Uncle J were chosen as Godparents. The day A was born was when we told them that we would like for them to hold this title. I think Uncle J just liked the idea of being called the "Godfather"






This is her pretty outfit that she wore once the baptism was over with. I was so afraid she was either going to puke or poop on the gown. Thank goodness she didn't do either.









I took these pictures so that A, one day, will be able to see all of the details of the dress. Before I sent the dress back to Illinois I made sure that I got some professional pictures with A in the dress that way we will always be able to remember it.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a blessing for you to find a church home that you love so much. It is worth so much!
I love all the pictures and the history of the super long dress! It is beautiful!
Love you! So proud of you! You are a great mommy!

Anonymous said...

comment above

Jeannie

I forgot to sign my name!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...