So I have decided to go back to school!! Can't believe I'm doing this. Back in May I decided that I was gonna give College one more go. Hubs & I talked about it and he agreed 100%. May I just say that I love that man!! He encourages me to do whatever it is that I want to do, every time! So after our discussions I began the process of getting back into school.
I decided to hold off on telling people just because it had been 4 years since I last attended and I wanted to make sure that this was something that I was willing to stick out and do. I applied and was accepted and made an appointment to sit down with someone at the University. Now I knew what I wanted to go back to college for but I didn't know how long it was going to take or how much it was going to cost.
After my first meeting with an advisor I found out it was going to take another 3 1/2 years to finish a degree in Elementary Education. Sick to my stomach doesn't even begin to describe how I was feeling after that meeting. I started having all of these thoughts run through my head like, "I'm never going to finish" "Maybe this isn't for me" "This is gonna cost an arm and a leg" "How will we make this work"
I was so disappointed. I thought surely out of the 62 credit hours that I have from Louisiana Tech most of them will transfer right... wrong :( The curriculum for Elem. Education is so far different than any other core classes you need for the other degrees. So all of my Englishes, Maths, Histories & Sciences that I had finished at Tech didn't amount to a hill of beans at ULM. Aaaagggghhhh!!!
So after my excited little determined bubble had been popped I went back out to my car and called Hubs. Man was I upset!! But because I have such a wonderful, kind and supporting husband 5 minutes on the phone with him my bubble had been re inflated!! He told me, "If this is something you really want to do, we will figure out a way!"
So once I got home I started to figure out a way. After talking with my friend Cori who works in financial aid at the University she convinced me to go online and apply for a pell grant. So I did and wouldn't you know I was approved! So now having found the way to get funded to go back to school I decided to sign up for some summer classes.
Another set back... So I'll be the first to admit that I'm not proud of how I handled myself in the beginning of my college career! I was not dedicated to say the least and my grades and GPA showed for it. Also not one to make excuses but to top off the lack of concern for the old GPA I also had a semester where my GPA took a detrimental blow due to health issues and a jerk of an advisor not leading me in the right direction. I was never informed that I could take a medical leave of absence from a quarter and according to my advisor, "It's too far into the quarter if you quit now you'll have to take all F's!" So me not knowing any better took all F's. Plummeting my GPA to a 1.95!
Since my GPA was a 1.95 I was considered on academic probation and because of this I was unable to get a pell grant for my summer classes. My friend Cori, being the great motivational friend that she is, told me to get my GPA to a 2.0 and I could have the money for the fall. So needless to say I got to work. I have never been so determined to get good grades in my life!
For the first summer session I took good old Louisiana History, which was VERY interesting (got an A) and Math 250 (got a B). And with these good grades my GPA went to a 2.08, a.k.a I got my pell grant money!!! 2nd summer session, we could only afford to take one class so I took Math 251 (got an A). Which after taking this class I feel like God knew what he was doing because their was so much involved in this particular class that I wouldn't of been able to handle another class. Still haven't heard what my GPA is now but it's better than 2.08! :))))))
I am so super pumped and proud of myself. Now moving onto the Fall I am enrolled in 5 classes... I have got to be out of my mind but I'm doing it. For the next year I will be trying to knock out most of the core classes that I have to take, I'll be taking the ACT (which I'm taking this in place of the 1st Praxis exam) and continuing to try and bring my GPA up. In order to be accepted into the College of Elem. Education you have to have a GPA of a 2.5, certain core classes done and pass the ACT with a 23 or pass the 1st Praxis. I've decided to do the ACT just because it's about $100.00 cheaper ;)
So I'll keep you posted and what's to come. Here are some pictures for your enjoyment of me and my toot toot!! I love this Lil Stinker. She is truly the greatest blessing!!

3 comments:
yah! Good luck!! We know you will do well!
so excited for you! I know you'll do great! A word of advice from a fellow mama of a young one back in school...make time for family, do school work around your family time, and when it gets hard and you think it's not worth it just lean on your supportive hubby. Mine has talked me away from quitting a few times. :)
You'll do so good!
sO PROUD OF YOU sTACY!! Your baby is sooooo cute!!! and I am so happy you have such a good husband! :) Love, Jeannie
Post a Comment